Previous > Adding Documents & Links
When importing a census to EaseCentral, it is important to follow the instructions. We use a .csv format that is easily saved from an Excel or other commonly used spreadsheet. Our header row verbiage is very specific to corresponding fields in Easecentral and they must match exactly. We recommend taking the header row verbiage from our example template and pasting it into the appropriate column headers in your report.
The columns don't have to be in a specific order, as long as the column header matches the EaseCentral header row options. For example, column B in our sample All-inclusive.xlsx has an employee’s first name, you can have your employee’s first name in any column and as long as the header row is titled "First Name" the information will import. You do not need to copy and paste the census data into our format. It can be more efficient to take the header rows from our spreadsheet and paste them into your spreadsheet.
The information in the rows must also match specific verbiage as in the headers. Again, this information must match corresponding selectable fields in EaseCentral to be imported. For example, Relationship – this is required if you are importing dependents. Here are the values that can be entered into this field: Spouse, Spouse-Ex, Child, Child-Step, Child-Domestic Partner, Child-Adopted, Child-Fostered, Child-Grandchild, Child-Legal Guardian, Domestic Partner. No other verbiage will be accepted.
Import Census Options:
- All Inclusive - This template is the most comprehensive and includes all fields in EaseCentral. Use this template to import employee demographics, work information, and elections at the same time. This is the most commonly used import template.
- Standard Census - This template can be used to import basic information about an employee like name, birth date, hire date, scheduled hours, and salary.
- Quote Census - This template can be used if importing employees into a company for rate quoting purposes only.
- Benefit Elections - Use this template if employees are already populated in the company portal and you are importing elections only.
- Email Addresses - Use this template to import employee email addresses which are used for employee login purposes.
- Salary + Effective Date Update - This template is used for updating salary based benefits (e.g., Life/AD&D, LTD, STD) when and if an employee has had a salary change and the benefits need to be updated to reflect the new salary. The new salary MUST be included in the Compensation Amount field for the benefits to properly update. It is best practice to also include the Compensation Start Date, if known. Be sure that the coverage amount is listed in the appropriate Import ID column. If importing LTD benefits list the monthly benefit; STD the weekly amount. Do not load the full salary as the coverage amount unless it truly is a 1x salary benefit. Please refer to the following solution to review guidelines on importing salary based benefits.
- ACA Hours Import - For companies using our ACA module, use this import template to import hours worked per paid period for variable hour employees.
- ACA Hours Import (Monthly) - For companies using our ACA module, use this import template to import hours worked for variable hour employees. This format will break out hours by month in a separate column. Hours are entered in each month's column and will be populated in the ACA module with a "from" date as the first of the month and a "to" date as the last of the month. This template should not be used for data that is to be imported per pay period.
- ACA History Import - The ACA History Import in Employees > Actions > Import History can be used to import historical employee status and type changes, earnings updates, and enrollment history that may have existed prior to the EaseCentral portal implementation for ACA reporting purposes.
- ACA Employee Import - If a company is using the EaseCentral ACA module but does not already have employees, dependents, and/or enrollments populated in the company portal, use the ACA Employee Import Template to add employee and enrollment data. The ACA Employee Import Template can also be used if a company only has partial employee, dependent, and/or enrollment data for the current reporting year. For example, currently terminated employees who were active during the reporting year can be added using the ACA Employee Import Template.
- Time Off Balance Report - Use this import template to import current balances during the implementation of EaseCentral's Time Off feature. This import can also be used to add hours to an employee's current balance. "Set" will upload or override the balance amount currently in EaseCentral. "Add" will add hours to the existing balance.
EID, First Name, Last Name, and Relationship are required. Organization Types like Locations, Divisions, Departments, and Job Classes are required when used in company portals. We recommend uploading only the fields that will be used for benefit management and/or payroll purposes or for the HRIS organization chart.
EID: This is a unique identifier for each employee in EaseCentral. The number needs to be unique for each employee. Employees and their dependents must have a matching EID. Dependents are matched to their employee relative through the EID. We highly recommend using employee SSN's as their EID. It's always a unique identifier and many carriers already provide censuses in this format. However, if integrating with a payroll system, use that ID as the EID in EaseCentral.
Location, Division, Department, Job Class, and Job Titles – Use the same exact format as the named Organizations added to the Company profile otherwise somewhat duplicate Organizations will be created during the import and employees will be added to it.
Relationship – This is a required field. Employees are designated as "Employee". Dependent values are: Spouse, Spouse-Ex, Child, Child-Step, Child-Domestic Partner, Child-Adopted, Child-Fostered, Child-Grandchild, Child-Legal Guardian, and Domestic Partner.
Pay Cycle Values – Weekly, Bi-Weekly, Monthly, Semi-Monthly, Annually, and the following numbers of Pay Periods: 10, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 27, 35, 42, 45, 48. The import value for these is <number> Pay Periods - example: 17 Pay Periods.
Importing Current Elections – Create the plan in EaseCentral. The system automatically assigns an Import ID which is located in the Benefits tab to the right of each plan Effective Date. Copy and paste the Import ID # into the header row after Import ID - example - Import ID 123456. Add columns for each plan you are importing.
Please refer to the All Inclusive template below for the following examples:
"Import ID HXGMNP" - enter “Enrolled” or “Waive” for each employees and their dependents. This would typically be used for a medical, dental or vision benefit.
"Import ID 3HJ9AD" - include the dollar coverage amount in each employee and dependent field. This would typically be used for a volume/salary-based benefit - Life/AD&D, LTD, STD, etc.,
If importing Guaranteed Issue amounts, enter the Plan Type, GI Amount, and GI Date - note the GI Date must be a date in the past. You can only import one unique approved GI amount per person per file. If there are multiple GI amounts required for an employee, run the import multiple times. If there are multiple plans with the same GI you can combine them by listing the plan types in the Plan Type column. Best practice is to load this data separately from enrollments.
Save the file in .CSV format. When choosing File > Save As, choose the CSV format.
If you import a census without a SSN and then subsequent uploads include an SSN, a duplicate record is created. When importing updates to employee or dependent information, the SSN must match the SSN already assigned to employees to prevent duplicates.
Please note: Existing employee first name, last name, SSN and email addresses cannot be updated via import. You must manually change these fields if they need to be updated. Only if this data does not already exist on the employee record, are you able to add it via import.
Next > Adding or Updating Employees