Managing the enrollment process involves two primary tasks, (1) Obtaining employee information and elections and (2) Submitting employee information and elections to carriers.
EaseCentral simplifies the first task by providing complete, validated, and legible enrollment data. The method by which an administrator submits enrollment information to the carrier varies:
Self-Billing involves the completion of a monthly reconciliation form that is submitted to the carrier. This form reports to the carrier the premiums due based on an employers self-accounting. This is commonly used for ancillary benefits such as life and disability where employee detailed information is obtained at the time of claim rather than at the time of enrollment. When available, self-billing should be used as it offers numerous advantages:
- Eliminates the need to reconcile your records against carrier invoices.
- Offers credits immediately.
- Eliminates the need for forms and detailed enrollment data to be submitted to the carrier.
- When utilizing self-administration, the ENROLLMENT CENSUS report can be run on a monthly basis to obtain the necessary information to complete the self-administered remittance for a carrier.
Web-Based Enrollment - Most carriers now offer a tool for web-based enrollment. Forms are not required with this method.
- When enrollment is complete, the administrator references the employee record in EaseCentral to transfer information to the carrier web portal.
- EaseCentral provides complete and legible information, which makes this process easier and more accurate.
- In some cases, forms require more information (e.g., health histories) that is not required when enrolling employees online.
- Forms - EaseCentral has carrier specific forms mapped in our forms library. A universal form is available in EaseCentral and may be sufficient to provide to carriers when forms are needed. This form is scalable so it ‘grows’ or ‘shrinks’ depending on the amount of information you are collecting. The universal form can include carrier required health histories and ‘wet’ signature or electronic signature options.
- Spreadsheets are commonly used for initial group enrollment or submission after open enrollment. Many carriers will provide a file specification document or template. Use the Enrollment Census report to reformat into carriers' specifications.
- EaseCentral integration is available for Colonial Life, Transamerica, and Unum.
- Integrations to carriers are offered through EaseCentral partners. Apprize Technologies, a Benefit Administration Systems provider, who manages integrations with many carriers in the Health & Welfare industry.
- The setup costs through Apprize are $750 per EDI file for medical, dental, vision or FSA. The setup costs for EDI to ancillary carriers is $1500 per EDI carrier integration file. The ongoing costs are $75 per month per file.
- If an interested client decides to move forward we will introduce you to the Apprize team to kick off the integration process with the employer and carriers. Typically medical EDI files take about 60 days and EDI for ancillary lines is about 60 – 90 days.